Lemon Custard Pie
This forms a lovely brown topping with a little crunch.
Rich, but not cloying.
- 500 ml Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 3 Tbsp Cornmeal
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 70 ml Margarine, melted
- 70 ml Lemon Juice
- Grated Rind of 2 Lemons
- 70 ml Milk
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Unbaked pastry shell
- Combine the dry ingredients and then blend in the margarine, the rind
and the juice. Mix well.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time and then beat in the milk
- Pour into the pastry shell.
- Bake at 350° F. (Gas Mark 4) in the top quarter of the oven. Check
after 50 minutes. Turn the pie to brown evenly. Bake until set in the centre.
This may be determined by giving the pie a gentle shake to observe the
firmness of the set. The pie will form a domed centre toward the end of
- Take special care not to scorch the top. It should be golden brown.
Move down toward the end of the cooking if it is getting too dark.
- Can be served warm or cold.