Very easy to make, but a
delightful use of rhubarb.
- 3 Slices White Bread
- 375 ml Sliced Rhubarb
- 100 ml Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Nutmeg, grated
- 1 Tbsp Butter
For the Custard:
- 75 ml Granulated Sugar
- 250 ml Milk
- 1 Egg
- Cut the bread into small cubes.
- Place half of bread cubes into well greased baking dish.
- Add rhubarb and sugar, then grate the nutmeg over it.
- Dot the surface with butter and then add remaining bread cubes
- Beat the egg, sugar and milk. Pour mixture evenly over the bread
- Bake at 350° F. (Gas Mark 4) in the top quarter of the oven.
Check after 40 minutes. Turn the dish to brown evenly. Bake until
set in the centre. This may be determined by giving the dish a gentle
shake to observe the firmness of the set.
- Can be served warm or cold.